Tuesday, December 17, 2013

THE WINDS OF CHANGE IS BLOWING. WE ARE SEEING MORE NEGATIVE CLINICAL TRIALS REPORTED.

I was looking back at the last few "Medical Big Shows" like ACC, ESC and AHA. Looks like more negative trials are reported. Alow me to list them and then discuss one as an example.





For example,
The ASTRONAUT trial was a trial to test the use of Aliskerin to prevent hospitalisation and death post CCF hospitalisation discharge. 1615 patients were enrolled and half had standard CCF therapy post discharge and half had aliskerin in addition. After 6 and 12 months, no difference in cardiac mortality and re-hospitalisation.

Yes, negative trials are a lost to the funder, but it does teach us physicians a very valuable lessons and also help set up for more and better research in future.
All is not lost with negative trials. I know what I should not do. Perhaps that will allow me to know better what I can do in future.

No comments: