Saturday, December 29, 2012

HUNGER 100. AFTER 36 HRS.

I spend about 90 mins with the Hunger 100 at Dataran Merdeka last night. I am glad to note that all is well. I did a ward round there. Two participants felt a bit sick, with headache and tireness, probably from lack of sleep as it was quite noisy and very open.



                                                      Genta and me at Dataran Merdeka. 281212

While there, I met my old friend from Bersih 3.0, Genta. He was there also to provide medical cover. We had arranged for the St John's Ambulance to provide assistance, just in case of emergency.



                                                  Part of the crowd at the Batu Road end


There was a sizeable crowd there at about 8.30-10pm. They were mainly gathered at the batu Road end of Dataran. I guestimate a size of about 150. The talk was on when I arrived, and there were active participation from the crowd, and I could recognise the artist Zunar, who also spoke at the gathering.


                                       Some religious Malay girls also came to give support.

It was nice to see that the crowd was multiracial ( as is always nice to have in Malaysia less we be branded as racist. I think environmental issues knows no skin colour ).
So as not to disappoint, earlier in the day ( 28th Dec 2012 ), DBKL came to erect a new signboard, telling the dos and dont's in Dataran Merdeka. Just to gently remind one and all. Of course the crowd made a joke of it.

                         New Signboard up, announcing regulations for use of Dataran Merdeka.


Those fasting are resting in the shade provided for another event.


To be fair, both nights ( 27th and 28th dec 2012 ) passed without incidents. They have learned the lessons from Bersih 3.0. The people on Hunger strike, slept with sleeping bags, no tents, use the toilets around Dataran Merdeka, and bath in nearby hotels where their friends have rented rooms. Not so comfortable, but will do.
Well, this morning the report from the organiser on the ground is that it is an uneventful night.
We are now into 36 hours of fast, and all is well.
I shall be doing my ward round again tonight, God willing.
PLEASE DO COME OUT AND GIVE THEM YOUR SUPPORT. PREVENTING PUBLIC HAZARDS IS IMPORTANT FOR PRESENT AND FUTURE GENERATIONS.

No comments: