Wednesday, December 29, 2010

AS I SEE IT. THE DEVELOPMENT OF INTERVENTIONAL CARDIOLOGY IN MALAYSIA. 1980-2010

As the year 2010 draws to a close, I am sure that all of us are reflecting on what the past year had been and what the future holds. Looking at the past, helps us to work better for a future. And when you are in your twilight years, some ruminations and re-collection of memories come by naturally and helps us see ourselves better. What have we achieved?
I was fortunate enough to be apart of the development of cardiology in Malaysia, being born at this very interesting times for health care development in Malaysia generally and development of treatment of cardiac disease in particular.
I suppose, I should begin by saying that this is my account, as I see it. Some may dispute, some may agree. I sometimes get to hear different versions of it. Let the "interested Malaysians" decide. This is the scientific way. The way of collecting information ( data ), both pros and cons and arrive at a conclusion.
I must also begin by apologising to those who may feel offended, either by my including them or by my excluding them ( unknowingly ) in my account. This literary journey is not meant to offend anyone. It is just to set on record, what had happened as we journey from 1980-2010, helping to develop cardic treatment modalities to help our people.
I will try and be as apolitical as I can. I am sure that all of you know that it this country, almost everything is political, however much you do not wish it to be. I tried very hard to keep out of politics, especially racial politics, but it was virtually impossible. You will know as you read, that some parties, major on it, to try and stiffle progress. I am very much a clinician.
We have three more days till 2011, so I have chosen to write today about the development of cardiology in Malaysia from 1980-1990. I graduated in 1975. Tomorrow ( God willing ), I will write about developments from 1990-2000, and on Friday, the developments from 2000-2010.
Without fear or favour ( to borrow a cliche from the late Dr Tan Chee Khoon), I shall proceed, to the best of my ability.

No comments: