Thursday, November 01, 2012

FISH OIL FROM FISHES REDUCES STROKES AND MINISTROKES.

I was browsing through the MPCN facebook and came across a posting by Dr Alan Teh. Decided to look it up. It was an article on a study by Dr Rajiv Chowdhury from Canbridge, UK. It was published in the online edition of BMJ. The Cambridge boys did a meta analysis on 385 studies of Fish oil and strokes / ministrokes. The 385 studies were across 15 countries and included about 800,000. They looked into the dietary background and related it to the incidence of strokes and ministrokes.
They found that there was a 6% reduction in strokes and ministrokes in those who take 2-4 portions per week of deep sea fishes like salmon, trout and mackerel, when compared to those who take 1 or less portion a week. Somehow, the benefits did not show for those who were taking fish oil supplements, instead of natural fishes.
We are all very fearful of having a stroke., myself particularly. If taking deep sea fish can help me avoid it, I wish to, and will take deep sea fish 4 times a week.
In terms of stroke prevention, I will also monitor my BP and keep it low at all times, take less salt and also keep my weight constant, avoiding weight gain at all cost. A moderate amount of exercise helps too.

No comments: