Friday, March 16, 2007

Don't have your heart attack on a weekend

Try not to have your heart attack on a weekend. Apparently mortality on weekends is increased. We've talked about door to needle time and door to balloon time on this blog before. Apparently the magic time is 90 minutes.



"The American Heart Association and
the American College of Cardiology say heart attack patients should get
angioplasties within 90 minutes of the time they enter the hospital.
But one recent study found only one in five hospitals gets it done that
fast."




That's not easy. Januzzi says that
at the minimum, it takes a crack team of two experienced cardiologists,
two trained nurses and a couple of cardiovascular technicians.




Now try going to a local hospital and looking for a crack team on a Saturday evening.



In other words, a heart attack on a weekday during work hours is about the best bet. On that note, have a good weekend and we will see you again on Monday.







powered by performancing firefox

1 comment:

Brate said...

In the cases of heart attack and cardiac arrest, or any other heart shocks, time sets to be the most crucial factor for the survival of the patient. Sometimes, a little knowledge regarding the immediate actions to be taken may help your near and dear ones to survive in such incidents. The response a person takes to treat a victim decides the probability of his/her survival. Its been my personal experience fighting to survive against a heart attack. A quick reorganization of your bodily responses may increase your chances of survival. Because of having many heart problems, I was enrolled in a concierge Healthcare program from elite health. I was attacked by a severe heart attack in a party, luckily surrounded by many people. Some of the sudden changes in my body was recognized by me and anticipated immediately. I got a very severe chest pain which was almost unbearable for more than a minute. I got the suspicion that I might be having heart attack, and immediately called my physician on the phone, and explained my condition and its severity. Because of the immediate guidance, I was directed immediately to have an aspirin which I used to carry with me as prescribed by my physician. It was quite a frightening experience for me to face such a heart attack, but somehow I managed to be calm until 911 arrived. I was immediately taken to the nearest hospital, where already my physician were present and have got everything setup according to my medical history. And it was in some matter of seconds that everything was in control. A doctor, who already have the complete knowledge of the medical history and fitness of the person, extra ordinarily ameliorate your recovery process. Hence such a concierge level program from Elite health, helped me a save my life, like many others.